Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to comp.man

From: Larry Hynes
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to comp.man
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 23:23:57 +0000 (UTC)

On 2016-12-16, Paul Fox <address@hidden> wrote:
> larry wrote:
> > The line 'If the draft already exists, comp will ask you as to the
> > disposition of the draft.' makes no sense to me, and I'm struggling
> > to make it make sense. If we put to one side the fact that I think
> > it's a broken sentence, I still haven't managed to get comp to
> > accept - or prompt me for - a 'replace' option when 'the draft
> > already exists', so I'm afraid I have to admit defeat here and seek
> > the wisdom of the elders.

>     $ comp -draftmessage last
>     Disposition? ?
>     Options are:
>       quit
>       replace
>       use
>       list
>       refile +folder
>       new

>     Disposition?

Ah. Thank you.

-draftmessage is not mentioned until the next paragraph, and not
in relation to anyone's disposition. So, following along logically,
one might reasonably expect 'comp -use' to present these options
as 'the draft already exists', no? I mean, it says, clearly - and
out of the blue - 'If the draft already exists, comp will ask you
as to the disposition of the  draft.' It doesn't say 'If the draft
already exists, and you pass it the -draftmessage switch, comp will
ask you as to the disposition of the  draft.

I would find '...comp will prompt you for the disposition of the
draft' to be slightly (only slightly, mind) less obtuse than the
current version. I shall campaign vigourously (here, alone, silently,
so as not to disturb anyone) for the removal of 'disposition' in
its entirety. Preposterous!