Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh should be more careful about when it unlinks draft

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh should be more careful about when it unlinks draft files
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 11:00:50 -0500

>Definitely after I quit the editor.
>I think _after_ the whatnow(1) prompt, as well, but it has long since
>scrolled away.  I don't remember the shell complaing about receiving an
>unwanted 'send', so I think that whatnow received it.
>
>The mail did not go out to the person I was replying to, and the
>copy cc'd to me also did not arrive.

Do you use "-push" to send?  I almost think that no one should ever use
that, but some people prefer it; it's very easy to have mail vanish that
way.

But, AFAICT, here's the sequence of events (this hasn't changed between
1.6 and now):

- repl(1) calls the editor
- Once that is done, it calls whatnow (in the same program, as a function)
- If you type "send", it calls sendsbr(), which will call your postproc.
  If the postproc is successful, it will RENAME your draft using the backup
  prefix.  It never deletes it.

Now, if you specify -push AND -unique (don't ask me what that second flag
does, I've never figured that out), before postproc is called it will rename
it to a temp filename.  Even then, though, it will still be around via
the backup prefix.

So I am really trying hard to see how the draft file could completely vanish,
as nothing in nmh will ever delete it (AFAICT).