Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] filtering support for inc

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] filtering support for inc
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 13:30:47 -0400

>I'm curious, what is trying to be accomplished by inc filtering?

I ... kind of thought it was obvious.  "inc" is the point where you take
messages from "external mail drop" and bring them into nmh.  It's a logical
point to want to do filtering.  Your solution only works if you run your
own SMTP server; that's fine for those who want to do that, but I'd hate
to make it a requirement to do filtering.

And I think you're not thinking ahead; sure, the behavior of inc NOW is
to display every message as it comes in.  But if it deleted them without
you seeing them then that wouldn't be an issue.

But as usual, Ralph came up with an elegant solution:

>Sounds complex.  How about giving inc(1) a [-sequence foo]... that added
>the incorporated emails to the sequences.  The user's script could then
>cook up a unique sequence name, run inc, then pick(1) and mark(1) their
>way through that sequence doing what they liked.

I like it; keeps the toolbox approach, simple to code, and flexible.
Were you thinking that the use of -sequence would negate also putting those
messages on the unseen sequence?  Any other thoughts?