Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow manpage (was Re: 1.7rc3: mhl(1) man page refers

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow manpage (was Re: 1.7rc3: mhl(1) man page refers to old mhl.format name
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 13:21:35 -0400

>Given the deprecated nature of MD5, should we keep this around? When was the
>last time one of these was seen in the wild? Seems like most people who worry
>about integrity are PGP-signing with a SHA hash of some variety (hopefully not
>SHA-1 :).

Weeellll .... I'm with you on that, but other people seem to still want
to keep it around.  I bring up removing that code every so often, and
it has it's defenders.  See:

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2017-08/msg00192.html

Although this time around, Ralph was the only one who defended it :-)

Since we're kind of late in the 1.7 release cycle to mark it deprecated
I would suggest we deprecate it for the next release and then remove it
for the release afterwards.  Unless people REALLY want to keep it around
(Valdis, I'll let you and Ralph fight it out).