Re: [Nmh-workers] Where are we at for 1.7.1?

From: Anthony J. Bentley
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Where are we at for 1.7.1?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 23:08:35 -0700

Ken Hornstein writes:
> >> This begs a larger question ... should we just specify iconv as a
> >> requirement for the next release?
> >
> >You're thinking those without it, e.g. Andy, could easily get iconv with
> >a package install?
>
> Yeah ... I am kind of surprised OpenBSD doesn't ship with iconv, but I
> have to believe it's available via a package.

So far nobody's stepped up to write iconv for OpenBSD, and we can't
include GNU iconv by default due to the license. I believe FreeBSD
switched to their own implementation a while back; perhaps I should take
a look...

Personally I think iconv is a perfectly reasonable requirement for a
modern mail client, and removing the ability to build nmh without it
(especially since it's POSIX-standardized) makes sense for maintenance
reasons.

--
Anthony J. Bentley