Re: [Nmh-workers] Where are we at for 1.7.1?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Where are we at for 1.7.1?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 12:41:51 -0500

>> CONFIGURE_ENV=          ac_cv_header_db_h=no \
>
>Out of interest, is that steering configure to not probe for db.h and
>move on to another?  Anything nmh should be doing better to avoid the
>need for this and work better elsewhere?

Urrrk.  If there is ONE bit of code that has caused us a huge amount of
consternation relative to it's use in nmh, it is the db/dbm code.  It is
ONLY used by slocal to suppress messages with the same Message-Id.  I
asked about removing this feature once, and I only got minor pushback.
While this API is part of POSIX, it doesn't seem like they are
standardized in terms of header files & library names.

I'd rather make this support conditional; if we can't find a working
db/dbm library then we just don't support duplicate message suppression.
Also, the implementation seems to have the Message-Id database grow
without bounds, so I have to wonder how much it's being used.

>(I would search nmh-workers archive, but the search is broken;  I'll
>ping them.)

Hm, I just tried it out and it worked fine for me.