Re: [Nmh-workers] GCC 8 pre-releases have escaped...

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] GCC 8 pre-releases have escaped...
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2018 20:52:45 +0000

Hi David,

> Ken wrote:
> > It took us a few decades to finally make our libraries be agnostic
> > to the stdio implementation; hitching our wagon to a third-party GC
> > library just seems like we'd be asking for a similar set of
> > headaches all over again.
>
> Your entire argument was very well put and I agree completely.

Right, with the addition that it would be something new for us to
understand when we're in the midst of debugging.

An advantage of conforming to POSIX isn't just that we're portable, it's
also when somewhere doesn't comply we're not on the back foot.  We can
try and accomodate them if the debt isn't too high, but don't *have* to
because we've wandered away from POSIX.

> Memory leaks are not a priority issue for nmh.

Ahem.  I wedged this Linux twice last week, needing the Magic SysRq key
and `f' to have the kernel's OOM killer to run and free memory to
recover.  I was running scan on a folder with 31,000 emails and a
`wholesome' format string.  Once I guessed what was happening I observed
growth in memory by scan's process to confirm, and added it to the long
to-do list.

But I agree with your general sentiment.  :-)

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy