[Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 08:05:27 +0000

Hi,

Do you run nmh on an OS and architecture that isn't in this list?
If so, what version of MH/nmh, OS, and architecture?

    android                arm
    darwin     386  amd64  arm  arm64
    dragonfly       amd64
    freebsd    386  amd64  arm
    linux      386  amd64  arm  arm64  ppc64{,le}  mips{,le}  mips64{,le}
    netbsd     386  amd64  arm
    openbsd    386  amd64  arm
    plan9      386  amd64
    solaris         amd64
    windows    386  amd64

I ideally ask because of an off-list comment received of being tempted
to re-write nmh in Go.  That would be my first choice in starting today
too.  I've been programming C on Unix since the 80s, and it's seen off
inferior allcomers like Java and C++, but Go is the one to replace it
for many programs.  (OS and embedded are safe;  this ARM has 16 KiB
RAM.)

Eric Raymond agrees;  he foresees Go replacing C for many programming
tasks and recently wrote three articles covering this, what's wrong with
C++, and why it will beat other competitors for the crown, e.g. Rust.
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7711  The long goodbye to C
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7724  The big break in computer languages
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7745  Language engineering for great justice

I haven't suggested introducing Go because I didn't want it to be seen
just as a silver bullet, and one that would detract or make it harder to
incrementally improve the existing code.  But perhaps we're all sitting
here thinking the same thing.  :-)

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy