[Nmh-workers] Blockers for 1.7.1.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Blockers for 1.7.1.
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 13:57:59 +0000

Hi Ken,

>   http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2018-02/msg00017.html
>
> You said you had a fix to a broken test ... was that pushed to master?
> If that was commit d4814561e

It was.

> then that is a BIT of a problem, since that commit broke test-charset
> on MacOS X
> MacOS X uses GNU iconv, and it seems like change d4814561e removes
> support for the eliding of the '?' from the character set name.  So...
> I think this needs to be reverted?  Or we have to do something else.

GNU iconv is also used here, where I did d4814561e, but the commit does
not remove support for eliding the `?'.

The before, 79e8d527, says

    iconv_elides_question_marks=0
    if test "$ICONV_ENABLED" -eq 0; then
        text_size=10
    else
        text_size=11
        #### The GNU iconv library normalises charset names by eliding '?',
along
        #### with some other characters.  The iconv library used on
FreeBSD/NetBSD
        #### doesn't.
        printf x | iconv -f '?UTF-8' -t UTF-8 >/dev/null 2>&1  &&
            iconv_elides_question_marks=1
    fi

So let's assume we reach the end of this on Mac OS X with

    ICONV_ENABLED=1
    text_size=11
    iconv_elides_question_marks=1

The only other use of iconv_elides_question_marks is

    run_prog mhshow $msgnum > $actual 2>&1
    if [ $iconv_elides_question_marks -eq 1 ]; then
        check "$expected" "$actual"

The `after' from that commit does

    text_size=10
    test "$ICONV_ENABLED" -eq 1 && text_size=11

so that will still give the

    ICONV_ENABLED=1
    text_size=11

and then the run_prog is

    run_prog mhshow $msgnum > $actual 2>&1
    check "$expected" "$actual"

Effectively the same.  It's the non-iconv_elides_question_marks
behaviour that has changed.

It did take David and I a bit of head scratching though, IIRC, so it
could be wrong but we'd need to see what's happening to help further.

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy