[Nmh-workers] Go versus Rust.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Go versus Rust.
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 14:10:37 +0000

Hi Michael,

> I believe that GO will replace C++, Java and Python in many "system
> admin" and bigger systems like GNOME and the like.  C# has already
> replaced on windows for UI stuff, and GO might make inroads among
> developers that didn't like C#.

You've ignored the existing inroads Go has made into C, with old-time C
programmers considering it good enough to move.

> GO is clearly optimized by google for google-scale things.

The motivation for Go was fast compilation of Google-scale *source*
compared with the many minutes for C++ despite their massive build
farms.

> I can't imagine implementing /bin/ls in GO.  /bin/bash in GO? sure.

It was not designed for behemoth, `Google scale', programs and is just
fine for ls(1).  There are many single-file Go programs on Github, for
example, that would have been C, Perl, or Python in the past.  It has a
well-organised, consistent, large coverage, standard library, that,
thanks to the language's `interface', has parts play well with one
another, allowing them to be composed.

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy