[nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

From: Jon Steinhart
Subject: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 10:08:21 -0700

Things always get weird as one's installed distribution gets crusty.
My Fedora Core 27 installation recently started whining about conflicts
between nmh and vi.  Surprised me.

I don't know if anybody has given any thought as to what should be a
dependency and what shouldn't.  Seems to me that dependencies should
be things necessary to build, install, and run (libraries) a program.
Not other companion programs on the system.  I think that a run-time
error message of the form "No editor defined.  Set EDITOR or VISUAL
in your environment , or Editor in your .mh_profile" is a better way
to go.

Of course, I could be completely off base here if vi is actually used
as part of the build process.  But that would seem weird to me too.

Jon