Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

From: Paul Vixie
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 08:55:41 -0700

Ralph Corderoy wrote:
why would our build or install dependency list include any editor?

Fedora's is changing from an install dependency on /usr/bin/vi to a
Suggests one.  I haven't checked what the other distributions do.  AIUI
the idea is a user won't see

     $ comp
     unable to exec vi: No such file or directory
     whatnow: problems with edit--draft left in /home/ralph/mail/draft
     $

i have not run comp without first setting VISUAL for at least two decades, but when i used to do this, it would print a message like "type your message below, and then hit control-D" and then read from standard input. when did that change to requiring an external editor? perhaps that's where it all went wrong.

--
P Vixie