Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: graphical mail reader for one-off use
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 10:00:56 -0400

ken wrote:
 > >    $ modern-mail-reader $(mhpath cur)
 > >
 > >and have it pop up a window on the message.
 > >
 > >Is this a practical wish?
 >
 > Well, I just tried this (I am on MacOS X):
 >
 > % cp `mhpath cur` /tmp/foo.eml
 > % /Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird -file /tmp/foo.eml
 >
 > And ... it seemed to do what you want!  (I chose a message with embedded

Thanks Ken!  I'll be giving this a try!  (I would have "just tried it
myself", but I don't have any modern readers installed!  Small point
of pride, until now.  :-)

 > images and they were displayed correctly).  I did the copy with the filename
 > extension because MacOS X really really wants to use filename extensions
 > as the identifier for a file type, and just doing "-file `mhpath cur`"
 > didn't work; I took a guess on the ".eml" extension and it seemed to
 > be correct.  So I think this is a reasonable option.

Huh.  ".eml".  I've spent years using and part-time developing email clients
and servers, and never heard of that extension.  Good to know.

 > BTW, I do use w3m as a text-based HTML viewer and I set the option
 > "display_link_number" so I can find the link in a message and then
 > copy and paste it to a web browser, so that works for a message where
 > I just need to find one link.

Yes, we use links similarly, but sometimes the needle (i.e., which of those
links is interesting) is lost in the haystack.

paul
paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 79.9 degrees)