nss-mysql-users

[Nss-mysql-users] auth failing with non-priv users

From: Geist, Dan (CCI-Atlanta)
Subject: [Nss-mysql-users] auth failing with non-priv users
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:18:16 -0400

Greets, I'm new to nss_mysql, but couldn't find a problem such as mine
in the archives. group ID, UID, file ownership and all seem to be
working properly with shadow support(since they son't use it...), but I
can't auth a plain user. I created a nss_mysql user named "dan" with
home dir "/tmp" and copied the pass hash directly from the system shadow
file of another username (RH 7.2 with shadow and MD5) and a sample
session looks like so:

address@hidden dgeist]$ su
Password:
address@hidden dgeist]# su - dan
bash-2.05$ pwd
/tmp
bash-2.05$ exit
logout
address@hidden dgeist]# exit
exit
address@hidden dgeist]$ pwd
/home/dgeist
address@hidden dgeist]$ su - dan
Password:
You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)
su: incorrect password
address@hidden dgeist]$ passwd dan
passwd: Only root can specify a username
address@hidden dgeist]$ su
Password:
address@hidden dgeist]# passwd dan
Changing password for user dan
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

Oh, I do have:
shadow.lastchange_column = user.lastchange;
in the nss-mysql-root.conf file and that row in the table is an int(16)
with default 0. Don't know if that matters...

I have a feeling that the password hash algoritm is incorrect, but
that's not substantiated. Any ideas?

Dan

--
Dan Geist | address@hidden
Security Engineer(lmot) | Cox Communications Inc.