nss-mysql-users

Re: [Nss-mysql-users] mysql not restarting and other issues

From: Guillaume Morin
Subject: Re: [Nss-mysql-users] mysql not restarting and other issues
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:43:56 -0500

Jamie,

Dans un message du 25 oct à 16:50, Jamie McClelland écrivait :
> 1. My first problem is that mysqld is not restarting properly (I
> noticed that this has been a problem in the past). When I try to
> restart (/sbin/service mysqld restart) the init script reports that
> the service has been properly restarted. ps aux reports:

This problem has been reported some times. I have never been able to
reproduce it. I think this is a bug in MySQL but I am not sure.

If you provide me access to the box, I can try to check it out.

> 2. If you are using shadow passwords, the database user privileges
> need to be tweaked.
>
> I couldn't get nss-mysql to work until I installed it with debug
> enables and then tailed /var/log/messages, at which point I noticed a
> bunch of my own typo mistakes, but also that the nss and nss-shadow
> users did not have the proper privileges. Following is a revision of
> the sql instructions in the SHADOW file. The fields in caps are ones
> that I added

I'll add that in the CVS.

> 3. I also noticed from the log that nss-mysql complains if your
> "lastchange" field is empty. It doesn't cause any problems, however,
> perhaps the default value for this field should be 1 or something to
> prevent the error.

afaik, the spec says it should not be empty.

> 4. There is a probably a good reason for this, but I noticed, while in
> debug mode, that both the passwd and shadow sql statements seemed to
> called repeatedly (the exact same statement for the same user) during
> a single login request.

This is up to the app.

> 5. Also (maybe a good reason too) but ... during a single login
> request, all groups are returned (which can take a while) rather than
> just the groups that the user trying to login to belongs to.

This is again up to the app. A lot of apps use setent/getent/endent...

Guillaume.

--
Guillaume Morin <address@hidden>

          5 years from now everyone will be running free GNU on their
           200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5 (Andy Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992)