nuxeo-localizer

Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] zwiki i18n progress, questions

From: Juan David Ibáñez Palomar
Subject: Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] zwiki i18n progress, questions
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 01:09:36 +0200

The night is long.., here are some answers.

Simon Michael wrote:

address@hidden (simon) writes:
Checked in the beginnings of i18n support. Requires LocalizerProduct, has
no effect if it's not available.  Following Juan David Ibáñez's guide, I
translated one (1) message and observed it's glorious multilinguality (by
switching to netscape, setting my preferred language to irish (ga) and
generating an edit conflict).  I'm not sure if .po files should go in cvs,
you can find them at [zwikidir/locale].  Translators could begin working
with these now I think.  I have a bunch of questions, currently noted in
the work queue.

Updated ZwikiInternationalisation, renamed ZWikiTranslation to
InternationalisationDiscussion.  You might want to subscribe over there if
you are interested in this topic.
--
forwarded from http://zwiki.org/GeneralDiscussion

I will be adding some thoughts about next steps to
http://zwiki.org/ZwikiInternationalisation later.  I want to go all the
way to multi-lingual pages, ultimately.  Your input is welcome as always.

Some current localizer-related questions to bounce off the list:

- how best to mark large multiline strings ?

In DTML with <dtml-gettext>...</dtml-gettext>

In Python, I'm not sure, have you tried """...""". Perhaps
zgettext will need some work to support this.

I mark this question as pending (XXX) and will look for the
best solution later.

- should common html/dtml be separated out ?

Not sure to understand, an example??

- how to get zgettext.py to remove obsolete strings ?

This is already in the TODO list..

- how to get zgettext.py to set metadata ?

I've added it to the TODO list..

- alternatives to zgettext.py ?

1. the standard gettext utilities, since 0.11.1 xgettext supports Python

2. pygettext, which is part of the Python since version 1.6 (I think)

3. xpot: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/po-utils/HTML/
  (there's a Debian package)

However, there're some reasons to use zgettext, for example it parses
the "dtml-gettext" tag, and it automates some steps of the i18n of a
Zope product that otherwise should be done manually.

Actually, zgettext already uses some of the gettext utilities to do the
job (msgfmt and msgmerge); it probably should use more, specifically
xgettext.

- do I need an en.po, what should be in it ?

Yes, only the metadata, look at the Localizer/locale/en.po file.

- should any of locale/* be in cvs ?

Only .po files (and locale.pot) must go in CVS. Your Makefile should
generate the .mo files, which would be distributed in the "binary"
versions of ZWiki.

- why doesn't mozilla show the translation ? (ns does)
- why does mozilla give a blank page with localizer's select language menu ?
- why does ns give the unchanged page with localizer's select language menu ?

These three are strange, I'd like to test them (XXX). Add the
*.po files to the CVS (I've already checked them out) and I'll
look at it.

Another issue, I've seen in the ZWiki's source strings like:

 _("This page was renamed to")+" %s.\n" % (newid)

This is not correct, because the position of "newid" could
change in other languages, the right string would be:

 _("This page was renamed to %s\n") % newid

If there's more than one parameter you've to use formatted
strings by name: "%(newid)s"

--
J. David Ibáñez, Nuxeo.com
Python programmer (http://www.python.org)