nuxeo-localizer

Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] easily translate existing website

From: Juan David Ibáñez Palomar
Subject: Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] easily translate existing website
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:24:07 +0200

That's what I did with the EuroPython.org web site, it was
already on production when its internationalization started.

How much easy or difficult it is depends on how the seb site
is done.

If you develop a multilingual application from scratch it's
likely it will have a clean implementation. If it's already
in production you probably will prefer to avoid the most
intrusive techniques (LocalContent/LocalPropertyManager) in
favor of other approaches (MessageCatalog).

Typically the message catalog should be used for the user
interface (buttons, labels, etc..) and LocalContent for the
data.

If you want a better answer try to describe how your web site
is. For example, which technologies you used? ZClasses, ZPatterns,
CMF, DTML, ZPT, custom Python product, etc..

Try to send attached a page or an object you want to internationalize,
a DMTL method for example.

Regards,

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

After reading the tutorial and the quickstart, I'm still at loss about
how to translate an existing website. (Sorry!)

In http://mail.freesoftware.fsf.org/pipermail/nuxeo-localizer/2002-February/000008.html

it says:

   It's possible to easily internationalize existing web sites with the
   message catalog.

but I haven't found the instructions to do that.  After adding a
MessageCatalog (called msg), it simply says: no translatable messages.

Could someone point me at the right direction?

Also, what's the difference between translating an existing website,
and making a new, internationalized website?  When to use gettext-like
methods (and thus add gettext calls in the original website), and when
to just copy whole html pages, put them in ./en ./de ./nl directories,
and translate those?

Greetings,
Jan.

--
J. David Ibáñez, http://www.j-david.net
Software Engineer / Ingénieur Logiciel / Ingeniero de Software