[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Nz-public-discuss] [NZOSS-Openchat] the June 2010 swpat Official In
Re: [Nz-public-discuss] [NZOSS-Openchat] the June 2010 swpat Official Information Act release
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 21:02:57 +0100
Then someone has to meet with MED to explain the problem then. If MS
and IBM get extra meetings on request, NZOSS should too.
* Make a document that refutes NZICT's claims one by one.
They make 10 points (pages 12-17), mostly ridiculous, such as:
* "open source software thrives in a world of software patents" !!
* TRIPS requires software patents (point 6)
* The current exclusion creates uncertainty
These arguments aren't hard to refute. You'll find lost of info and
Writing a good document is a lot of work, but the wiki contains all
the info needed.
* Make a petition and gather thousands of signatures. This was very
effective in Australia. Someone first has to check the rules for
submitting petitions in New Zealand. (Ex: In Australia, it had to be
* Write a short statement and get companies to endorse it. Bonus points
for signatures from NZICT members.
If you think that an independent group (not FOSS affiliated) would be
useful for gathering foss and non-foss support for the above, you could
use the ESP brand (ESP New Zealand).
(Another comical nugget from the released document: Pingar's
representative's only contribution at the meeting was a pro-swpat
statement, but when asked if he wanted to apply to software patents in
New Zealand, he said no. page 43, point #5)
+32 (0) 485 118 029
http://EndSoftwarePatents.org/ - http://en.swpat.org/
- Re: [Nz-public-discuss] [NZOSS-Openchat] the June 2010 swpat Official Information Act release,
Ciarán O'Riordan <=