oath-toolkit-help

Re: [Hotp-toolkit-help] client/server extension of HOTP toolkit

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [Hotp-toolkit-help] client/server extension of HOTP toolkit
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 22:47:04 +0100

Simon Josefsson wrote:
Daniel Pocock <address@hidden> writes:

Hi all,

Some time ago, I wrapped some of the code from the HOTP toolkit into a
modular client/server solution, which I've decided to release here:

 http://www.dynalogin.org

It is a GPL v3 release, I believe this is compatible with the
licensing of the existing HOTP toolkit code.

The intention of this architecture is to offer:
- modularity (e.g. different back end storage options, or enable usage
from different client platforms)
- proper separation of privileges, e.g. so that a compromised PHP web
server would never be able to read the secret keys directly from the
file/database
- enable and encourage wider adoption of this technology

Any feedback/discussion is welcome - I hope this is useful for people.

Hi!  Cool, and thanks for status update.

Do you think some of your modifications would make sense to incorporate
into HOTP Toolkit?  I'm thinking in particular of libhotp that you
copied -- if there are changes we could make to support your project, it
would be good to discuss this.  I think it would be nice if you could
use libhotp directly as an external library.
Actually, I didn't have to modify your code - I simply borrowed the files hotp.[ch] and used them as the HOTP implementation within my own process. It is also intended that I could plug in other code in a modular way (e.g. TOTP or OCRA)

If you could expose that functionality in a shared library, I could use that too, just as I'm using unixODBC and apr libraries.

I haven't read your source code in too much detail yet, so I may be
missing something.
You can have a look over the SVN browser here:

http://dynalogin.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dynalogin/trunk/

Essentially, the structure is:

libdynalogin/datasource - backend storage for user data/keys

libdynalogin/ - the controller functionality (selection of algorithm, selection of user data from backend)

dynalogind/ - a daemon process

(still coming: libdynaloginclient - a client library)