oath-toolkit-help

Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] pskc_build_xml() use-after-free

From: David Woodhouse
Subject: Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] pskc_build_xml() use-after-free
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:48:48 +0000

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 09:16 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Although I'm very sad my application is going to need to *know* about
> SHA256 support and jump through lots of compatibility hoops to
> optionally support it with newer liboath. All I want is a function that
> will "generate a token code from <this> PSKC file and update the file as
> necessary, with appropriate file locking, if it's HOTP". And then SHA256
> would have Just Worked™.

Speaking of which, that also means I'm going to need to know precisely
what to be looking for in the result of pskc_get_key_algparm_suite() and
how to turn that into a flags argument to oath_totp_generate2().

There's not even a helper function to do that string->flags conversion
for me?

In fact, I can't actually work it out at all. In RFC6030 it says
(§4.3.4):

      The optional <Suite> element defines additional characteristics of
      the algorithm used, which are algorithm specific.  For example, in
      an HMAC-based (Hashed MAC) OTP algorithm, it could designate the
      strength of the hash algorithm used (SHA1, SHA256, etc.).  Please
      refer to the algorithm profile section, Section 10, for the exact
      semantics of the value for each algorithm profile.

But §10 only shows HOTP (for which SHA256 isn't defined) and PIN
profiles. TOTP was standardised later, in RFC6238, and AFAICT neglected
to provide an update for RFC6030.

I filed http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6238&eid=4249

--
dwmw2