oath-toolkit-help

Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] pam_oath and pam_ldap together?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: [OATH-Toolkit-help] pam_oath and pam_ldap together?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 12:25:50 +0200

Patrick Proniewski <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm absolute beginner with OAth, I've installed the freebsd package
> few hours ago, and started playing and google immediately.
>
> I have a bunch of Linux/FreeBSD servers that are bound to a LDAP
> server for sysadmin and users authentication, using pam_ldap. I would
> like to add a layer of security on top of that with pam_oath, but I'm
> pretty sure it won't be that easy, as I have not found a single
> example of such a configuration.
>
> Is it possible to authenticate on a server through pam_ldap (non-local
> users) with the added security of pam_oath?

Hi.  Sorry for slow response.  No, not to my knowledge.  A lot of PAM
modules include LDAP support natively to adress this use-case.  It is
similar for validating the password-part, libpam-oath takes over this
role and does it poorly.

If someone know how to configure PAM to acomplish something better,
please share.

I suppose that supporting LDAP directly in the PAM module is ineviteble,
even though I don't look forward to maintaining that code.

/Simon