octal-dev

Re: [Octal-dev] Pitch Shifter / Extracting Fourier Description

From: Steve Mosher
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] Pitch Shifter / Extracting Fourier Description
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:53:55 -0300

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Michael Krause wrote:
> I just did a little experiment on my own: I should have thought about
> it before, but I simply assumed pitch shifting was really just
> literally shifting the frequency domain by an additive constant, which
> it is NOT of course, since that way, the harmonics get distorted
> (sounds separated by an octave before aren't any longer after this
> "shift"). Real pitch shifting is thus a shift of the frequency domain
> on a logarithmic scale.

        Technically, it sounds like you /did/ produce a real 'pitch shift',
which is different from what you /really/ want, which is 'pitch scaling'.
Actual pitch shifting will blow up your harmonics... I wish I had known the
correct terms when I asked the question in the first place =).

> Sounds funny. Anyone interested in the code? (Or in a more detailed
> derivation?)

        I do! I'm an industrial musician =).