octal-dev

Re: big picture stuff (was re: widget)

From: Nicolas Léveillé
Subject: Re: big picture stuff (was re: widget)
Date: Fri Feb 2 16:27:01 2001

[Matthew Itkin <address@hidden>]
| On Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:43:26 -0500
| "Danny P." <address@hidden> wrote:
|
| > >It sounds like what we're looking for is some way for the machines >
| > >communicate groups of parameters. As in,
| > >
| > >Params 0-3 are in group "foo"
| > >Params 4-7 in group "bar"
| >

| > Frikken good idea! Collapsable frames that host music-centered UI
| controls
| > will kick ass.
| >

| I dont know why you think this would be helpfull.  I have never seen a
| Buzz machine with too many paramaters.  Even if the pattern view is
| wider than my screen, the paramater view always fits nicely on my screen
| and lets me view all my paramaters at once.  I find that convenient and
| easy.  Collapsable frames would just clutter it up with little collapse
| buttons and expand buttons.  I have no problems scrolling left and right
| to get to other columns in the pattern editor either.  Its easier to
| scroll left and right than it is to grab the mouse and click "collapse"
| and "restore" buttons.
|
| I think for the GUI we should move away from mouse-based concepts.  This
| is a tracker-style program, not a graphics app.  You have to do so much
| with the keyboard already.  You want to reach for your mouse as little
| as possible.

He's not talking tracker interface but those parameters dialog. And I've
seen
quite a few machines with so big lists of parameters they barely fit in
1024x768

| > Swig also supports perl, ruby and more. I'm extremely exhausted and
| cannot
| > provide a lot more examples of the uses of this, but I'm sure others
| can.
| >
| > Even if you guys do not agree, I will do it anyways :) Free software
| is
| > funky ;)
|
| Yeah, you can do it, but it likely wont be included in the core
| distribution of OCTAL unless it adds some real functionality that cant
| be obtained through the pattern editor.  If the pattern editor is
| anything like Buzz's, I can't see how you really could.  Still, feel
| free to expand upon your idea on the DEV list.  Maybe I am just not sure
| exactly how you plan to use scripts in OCTAL.

I find the idea of having a scriptable tracker gui (ala emacs) very
interesting.
you want parameter interpolation with a strange function? just code it and
voila,
you have your exp, sinus function inserting parameters in the track...
That's
the obvious application i would have for such things.

or you could be able to manipulate the dynamic of parameters ... dilate
them,
translate them... whatever.

-Nicolas Léveillé (Knos)