octal-dev

Re: hope(less)

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: hope(less)
Date: Wed Aug 29 17:21:04 2001

> dont know how much coding dave does in his own backyard, but the
> latest stuff in cvs is little over a month old now.

Yes, that's right about the time I went traveling on vacation :-). I think
I need to update my advodiary more consistently so that people don't worry
I got hit by a bus or something. Sorry folks, my fault :-)

> besides the core we have the second task of collecting plugins and making
> them easily accessible. i'd like to see _all_ the plugins,  however
> alpha or (eek) broken,  contributed to octalmachines on sourceforge.

The safety rating is a good idea---I think one of the buzz sites does
something similar. "Alpha" "Beta" and "Final" is probably good, with the
additional admonition that you not base new song/session files on
pre-final plugins (parameter lists / plugin name may change.)

> seen maybe 15 plugins altogether posted here or mentioned somehow - the
> octalmachines cvs contains contributions by only 3 developers now. to be
> able to do this (upload to cvs) you need a sourceforge id and you need
> to tell it to us! simple...

Yes... anyone who is interested please contact Luka, he is in charge of
the machine repository.

> we should produce a usable Makefile to compile (or at least attempt) all
> of them in a uniform way.
> i think im not make-literate enough to do it right, really

We can do something like gtk-config, a tiny script that just does the
right thing... in this case I'll probably just lift the gcc command line
from the Octal api manual. And then the binaries can sit in
/usr/share/octal/plugins (or wherever.)

I am moving on Sunday, so look for more after the noise dies down.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden