Re: Octave 2.0.2 : linking error on alpha-dec-osf3.2

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 2.0.2 : linking error on alpha-dec-osf3.2
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 03:41:46 -0600

On  6-Feb-1997, I wrote:

| So, we could have just two binary distributions for each system (one
| with debugging symbols, the other stripped).  They would contain the
| following things:
|
|   statically linked octave binary

The problem with this is that some systems (like Linux) don't seem to
allow a statically linked binary to also be able to do dynamic
linking.

When I tried building Octave with -static and -ldl, it failed because
there is only a shared version of libdl.  Does anyone know if it is
possible to build a non-shared version of this library?

If not, it looks like I am back to building different binary
distributions.  (Or maybe just giving up on dynamic linking for the
binary distributions -- it certainly does seem to cause a lot of
trouble...)

Suggestions?

Thanks,