Re: octave version

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: octave version
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:21:48 -0500

On 21-May-1997, Doug Warner <address@hidden> wrote:

| Correctly handling multiple versions of .oct files takes more work.
| You'd probably need to include version information with every shared
| library used by octave and make sure that the run-time system
| indicates an error if the .oct file was created with a different
| version of the shared libraries in mind.  I think that's not too hard
| on DEC Unix, but I don't know about other systems.

Instead of relying on some system-dependent method, would it be good
enough to use the OCTAVE_VERSION macro?  The .oct file could have this
compiled in, and then Octave could check it when installing the
function.  If the value in the .oct file failed to match the value in
the Octave binary, an (optional) warning could be printed.