Re: octave version

From: Kurt Hornik
Subject: Re: octave version
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 18:15:05 +0200

> Kurt Hornik writes:

> | It's probably too late now that all changes have already been made, but
> | I am not too happy about them.
> |
> | Are we really talking having
> |
> |       /usr/local/lib/octave-${version}
> |
> | and /usr/local/lib/octave linked to the one with the highest version
> | number?  Where will /usr/local/lib/octave/site go then?  What is wrong
> | about the current layout?

> Hasn't that been changed to /usr/local/share/octave/site in version
> 2.x?  In my 2.x installations, there is no /usr/local/lib/octave
> directory.

Your mileage may vary.  John changed the defaults (hmm, following my
suggestion) to respect the GNU standards which have different values for
datadir (share), libdir (lib) and libexecdir (libexec) [the last is not
used by Octave].

On the other hand, we follow the Linux File System Standard which still
has everything in lib.

Still, amongst my questions is the following.  We now have

        $datadir/octave/$version/...
        $datadir/octave/site/...

If we change to

        $datadir/octave-$version

and link $datadir/octave to one of these, where does the site tree go?
(And please, don't start something like GNU Emacs as introducing a
version dependent sitelispdir ...)

-k