Design of octave graphics

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Design of octave graphics
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 01:22:51 -0600

On 10-Feb-1998, Matti Picus <address@hidden> wrote:

| Hi. Note that I would like to move this to octave-maintainers, hope
| all agree.

Yes, this mailing list is the right place for discussions like this.

| I also like plotutils. Since our objective is adding general graphics to
| octave, I think we should try to design a more general graphics class, from
| which figures, plots (axis, line,...), buttons, text, and other things
| inherit. Following the lead of VIM (a VI replacement that also has a GUI
| version) we could declare the member functions in a toolkit-independent
| file, then include function definitions in toolkit-dependent libraries of
| thunks.

I took a quick look at plotutils and it doesn't seem to say that it
will work on win32 systems.  Does anyone know how hard it might be to
make it work with the gnu-win32 tools?

| I can't find my Matlab license, but their heirarchy of objects might be a
| good place to start.

Yes, we should definitely make it possible to support the types of
buttons and knobs that Matlab has.

Thanks,