Re: Question

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Question
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 21:58:57 -0500 (CDT)

On 15-May-1998, Chuck Robey <address@hidden> wrote:

| On Fri, 15 May 1998, John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| > The compiler is supposed to insert the string constructor
| > automatically.  I'd suspect that at least that part is correct.
|
| When I ran gdb, and tried to read the passed variable, it told me
| incomplete type.  That's why I thought maybe it had been constructed
| wrong, and the ref value was wrong (it might be trying to free a class
| instance that hadn't been created).  The constructor is NOT called,
| according to gdb.

What version of gdb are you using?

When gdb says incomplete type, it usually means that for some reason
it doesn't have enough information.  Was your libstdc++ compiled with
debugging symbols?

You probably don't see a call to the constructor because it was
probably inlined.

| > | I can and will perform any tests you can imagine, and would in fact be
| > | pleased to work off any guesses you can come up with.  The platform is
| > | FreeBSD-current, using gcc 2.7.2.1.
| >
| > My guess is that the copy of libstdc++ you have is out of sync with
| > the version of the compiler or include files that you used to build
| > Octave.
|
| It's the libg++ 2.7.2, and there wasn't a libg++ 2.7.2.1 (2.7.2 was the
| one that covered that release).  Does your software require something
| more recent?  The compiler were using is 2.7.2.1, and we're not going to
| be upgrading real quick here.

Currently, you should be able to build Octave with g++ 2.7.2, g++
2.8.x, or egcs 1.0.x (I use all three at various times).  Fairly soon,
you may have to have egcs or 2.8.x to build the development version
(2.1.x).

Are the C++ header files consistent with the library that you have
installed?