Re: Question

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Question
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 13:08:48 -0500 (CDT)

On 19-May-1998, Chuck Robey <address@hidden> wrote:

| I've not dropped this.  I just found that if I add the qualifier
| "string" to the variables like in line 198 above (and several after) it
| no longer gets the SIGBUS.  I still am getting a SIGBUS at line 211,
| which I modified:
|
|     210   char *hd = getenv ("HOME");
|     211   string Vhome_directory = hd ? hd : "I have no home!";

By doing that, you are creating a local variable called
Vhome_directory that shadows the global one.  That's definitely not
what should happen.

Try changing it to

  Vhome_directory = hd ? string (hd) : string ("I have no home!");

If that fails to compile, do it like this instead:

  if (hd)
    Vhome_directory = string (hd);
  else
    Vhome_directory = string ("I have no home!");

There may be other places where you need to make similar changes.  Can
you please let me know where, so I can change my sources?

I think this problem is probably a bug in the compiler you are using,
but I'm willing to modify the Octave sources to work around the bug.

Thanks,