octave 2.1.7 can't load example oregonator.oct

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: octave 2.1.7 can't load example oregonator.oct
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:15:18 -0600 (CST)

On 27-Jan-1999, Gary Holt <address@hidden> wrote:

| Bug report for Octave 2.1.7 configured for %CANONICAL_HOST_TYPE%

| -----------
|
| First, there's a simple error in the mkoctfile script; at lines 106 and
| 109, there is an extra ;; which my bash shell doesn't like.
|
| I've just picked up octave 2.1.7 and I've been completely unable to compile
| any dynamically loaded modules.  When I attempt to access any function in
| the .oct file, octave says that the symbol
|
|    check_version(const string &, const string &)
|
| is undefined.  (Well, actually, since string is a templatized type, it says
| that check_version(const basic_string<....>, etc.) is undefined.)
|
| I'm using the egcs (1.0.3a) compiler with pentium gcc optimizations on a
| linux libc5 system.  (I have to use the egcs compiler because the extension
| modules I need to compile won't work with the older gcc.  I was unable to
| compile octave 2.0.9 with the egcs compiler.  If it's possible to do so,
| I would be just as happy to use 2.0.x as 2.1.x.)
|
| Repeat-By:
| ---------
|
|   % mkoctfile oregonator.cc   # This is the oregonator.cc in the examples
|                               # directory that comes with the octave
|                               # distribution.
|   % octave
|   > oregonator
|
| If I have built only static libraries (the default configuration option),
| then this tells me that check_version(const string &, const string &) is
| undefined.  If I configure with --enable-shared, it simply dumps core.
|
| Fix:
| ---
|
|   First, remove the extra ;;'s in mkoctfile.in and mkoctfile.

This should be fixed in the current sources.

|   I wish I knew how to get around the other problem.  Are dynamically
|   loaded functions simply not working at all in this development
|   release?  Can someone suggest a release that I should be using, which
|   I can use the egcs compiler with?

If you want to use 2.0.x, try using the latest test release, available
from ftp.che.wisc.edu in the directory pub/octave/test-releases.  It
should work with egcs.

If you want to use 2.1.x, wait a few hours until 2.1.13 is available.
It should also work with egcs and dynamically linked functions should
work.

If you still have problems with one of these versions, please report
them.

Thanks,