LAPACK 3.0

From: Ross A. Lippert
Subject: LAPACK 3.0
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:56:33 -0600

Besides the double prompt, things are working fine and I am
trying to push the bleeding edge a bit by updating the LAPACK
routines to LAPACK3.0 routines.

The difference between 3.0 and 2.0 are bug fixes and a few
new functions that compute faster than the older functions
(like divide and conquer SVD).  Note: no functions have been
deleted (though some of the aux functions were consolidated),
so the interface to LAPACK has been extended, but should
still be backward compatable.

So I think the right way to proceed is to copy the corresponding
LAPACK 3.0 routines into libcruft/lapack (+some minor changes
due to aux function stuff), thereby updating each 2.0 LAPACK
subroutine with a 3.0 subroutine, building that.  Next, test the
resulting octave.  Next debate about whether to replace any of
the algorithms (I vote strongly for the new divide and conquer
SVD).

Anyhow, phase 1 is complete.  I have replaced the libcruft/lapack
files with new ones and built it and it builds.

Any suggestions about phase 2?  Does everyone think the DejaGnu
tests are sufficient?

-r