Re: Octave 2.1.19 available for ftp

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: Octave 2.1.19 available for ftp
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:12:38 +0100 (GMT+0100)

  Hello,

  I have applied the 2.1.19 patch over the 2.1.18 patch and compilation ends
in :

./munge-texi \
  -d ../../src/DOCSTRINGS \
  -d ../../scripts/DOCSTRINGS < octave.txi > octave.texi.t
invalid doc file format
make: *** [octave.texi] Error 1

  I will get the full distribution, to see if it has to do with my patching
problems.

  Etienne

ps : It sounds like a great idea to have all the doc in the source files. I
like perl
 for that. I don't know texinfo, unfortunately.

pps: The error in make occurs after the executable octave has been produced. At
startup,
 it says :

GNU Octave, version 2.1.19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 John W. Eaton.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details, type `warranty'.

*** This is a development version of Octave.  Development releases
*** are provided for people who want to help test, debug, and improve
*** Octave.
***
*** If you want a stable, well-tested version of Octave, you should be
*** using one of the stable releases (when this development release
*** was made, the latest stable version was 2.0.14).

error: `strcmp' undefined near line 27 column 4
error: evaluating index expression near line 27, column 4
error: if: error evaluating conditional expression
error: evaluating if command near line 27, column 1
error: near line 29 of file `/home/etienne/.octaverc'

  and indeed "strcmp()" is not defined.

p3s: Linux 2.0.36, Debian, gcc 2.95 19990728.