Re: Problem loading/saving of lists and structures.

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: Problem loading/saving of lists and structures.
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:25:50 -0500

JWE wrote:
>Here is the problem as I see it.  Since Octave allows users to add new
>data types, it would be nice if those data types could be included in
>files created by save and then also loaded by the load function.

Are you referring to people creating new data types from C++ plugin files
(.oct files)?  Surely you can't define new datatypes from .m files?

Do people actually do this?  My first inclination would be to say that you
should burn this bridge when you come to it...I wouldn't have thought that
this is a common enough concern to worry about.  Or maybe simply say that
people adding new data types must convert their datatypes to variables of
standard types if they want them to be saved.

(With lists and structures, I wouldn't think that people would need
entirely new data structures very often.  The only basic datatype missing
from Octave is  the multi-dimensional array.)

Steven