Re: problems and patch for sco

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: problems and patch for sco
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:00:36 -0500 (CDT)

On 20-Jul-2000, Joao Cardoso <address@hidden> wrote:

| "John W. Eaton" wrote:
| >
| > On  6-Jul-2000, Joao Cardoso <address@hidden> wrote:
| >
| > | 2-The other modification is that I have to prepend
| > | LD_RUN_PATH=$LD_RUN_PATH:/usr/local/lib/octave-2.1.30 to $(CXX), also in
| > | the octave target.
| > | The reason is that -rpath is not supported by my system.
| > | The only possibility that I see is to define a symbol for Makeconf.in,
| > | configure.in and src/Makefile.in, LD_CXX e.g., that on all systems will
| > | be equal to CXX, except on sco where it will be
| > |
| > | LD_CXX="LD_RUN_PATH=$LD_RUN_PATH:$(octlibdir) $CXX"
| >
| > Hmm.  It seems like it would be better to have a test that detects the
| > problem instead of just assuming that this will be required on all (or
| > even some) SCO systems.  On the other hand, it might not actually
| > cause any trouble.
|
| I only have sco-5.0.4. The current release is 5.0.5, but as far as I
| know there is still no support for -rpath or equivalent. libtool, X11R6,
| etc, all use this same method for sco.
|

| > | The enclosed patch "correct" this problems and add some more
| > | configuration  specific stuf to sco.
| >
| > It seems the patch was missing from your message.  Can you please send
| > it again?
|
| Sure, here it is against today cvs.

Thanks.  Actually, I was wrong, your patch was not missing, but I
didn't see it when I replied (my mailer omitted it, which I didn't
expect) so I thought it was missing.

In any case, I applied it with the following changes.  I used

  LD_CXX='$CXX'
  LD_CXX='LD_RUN_PATH=$LD_RUN_PATH:$(octlibdir) $(CXX)'

instead of

  LD_CXX="$CXX"
  LD_CXX="LD_RUN_PATH=$LD_RUN_PATH:$(octlibdir) $CXX"

so that the expansions will take place when make is run instead of
at configure time.

Next time, can you please submit a ChangeLog entry too?

Thanks,