gperf: compiling Octave from CVS sources

From: John Smith
Subject: gperf: compiling Octave from CVS sources
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 00:23:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hello again,

I have collected Octave from CVS on 8 December 2000.

The ./configure is complaining about my gperf, and ultimately c++ complains
about lex.cc in a way which looks related.

I have installed a new gperf; it says

   bash:> gperf --version
   GNU gperf 2.7.2

./configure is saying

  checking for gperf... gperf
  configure: warning: I found gperf, but it does not support all of
             the following options: -t -C -D -E -G -L ANSI-C -H -N;
  you need gperf 2.7 or a more recent version

I have started to search out an explanation: I think ./configure is
doing something like:

#! /bin/sh

echo "%{
%}
%%
" | /usr/local/bin/gperf -t -C -D -E -G -L ANSI-C -H octave_kw_hash -N
octave_kw_lookup

which is giving the error message

   Empty input key is not allowed.
   To recognize an empty input key, your code should check for
   len == 0 before calling the gperf generated lookup function.

Can you give any advice?

Thanks,
John