extern char *strptime () on FreeBSD 2.2.8

From: Trond Varslot
Subject: extern char *strptime () on FreeBSD 2.2.8
Date: 26 Jan 2001 18:03:17 +0100

Hello,
I have been trying to compile octave 2.1.33 on FreeBSC 2.2.8, and
noticed that in the file
liboctave/lo-cutils.c, the function strptime is defined as
extern char *strptime ().
This comflicts with the definition in /usr/inclide/time.h:
const char *strptime().

I simply removed the prototype from lo-cutils.c, and octave seems to
compile. I was not able to complete the linking, since the computer ran
out of memory:(

My question is this: What reasons are there for defining a function
prototype which is also defined in the included header files? Isn't the
proper place for the definition of strptime in time.h? If there are no
rationales behind doing it this way, I suggest we remove the prototype
from lo-cutils.c as it gives the compiler hickups on FreeBSD 2.2.8.

Yours sincerely
Trond Varslot.