[patch] Use C linkage for dynamic linking

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: [patch] Use C linkage for dynamic linking
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:58:11 -0500

On 28-Jun-2001, Mumit Khan <address@hidden> wrote:

| [ I'm not subscribed to this list, so please copy me if appropriate ]
|
| This is a slight variation of the alternative proposed by jwe to load
| dynamically loadable functions in Octave. To avoid ABI mismatch, I
| encode the ABI name in the DLF, and that's checked when loading it.

OK, I applied this patch.  It should be in the public CVS archive
shortly.

| Currently supported ABIs are gnu_v2, gnu_v3 and sun. The DLF are now
| named FS#name#_#ABI; eg., besselj will become FSbesselj_gnu_v3 if you're
| using GCC 3.0 or later.

Actually, this is not the name of the function, it remains Fbesselj.
It is the name of a function that the dynamic loader calls to install
the function name in the symbol table, along with a pointer to the
actual function (Fbesselj in this case).  So it should not require any
changes to user code, even if people are calling functions using the
Fbesselj style name (which they really shouldn't be -- they should be
using feval instead).

Thanks,