Matlab/Mathematica compatibility

From: Christian Seberino
Subject: Matlab/Mathematica compatibility
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:49:17 -0700

I am a *very* new addition to Octave community.

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

I am amazed that J. Eaton and Octave community
were brave enough to even have level of Matlab
compatibility is has already.  Did makers of
Matlab ever give any response how they felt about this??

I have heard that Mathematica makers (Wolfram)
are hostile to such cloning.  I even talked to a lawyer
about this and he said that even though compatibility
may be legally OK, Wolfram could still intimidate open source people
with litigation and high court costs.  I have even
heard here and there that Wolfram has threatened
to sue other symbolic math app people already.

This issue has really dampened any enthusiam
I have for this area so any encouraging words
would be very much welcome.

Sincerely,

Chris

--