LD_LIBRARY_PATH problems

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: LD_LIBRARY_PATH problems
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:17:48 -0500

On 14-Aug-2002, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| Looking at my Makeconf, I see that RLD_FLAG contains -Xlinker
| -rpath, so ld is doing what it claims.  Presumably the
| --disable-rpath option on ./configure will make things work right,
| but I haven't checked (it takes a looong time to compile on this box).

But you already have it built, right?  The -rpath option is only used
at link time, so it should be relatively fast to relink without that
option.  Even if you run configure again with --disable-rpath, you
should only have to recompile src/toplev.o and then relink.

| libkpathsea.a which for
| some reason is linked into src/octave directly.  I haven't tried linking it
| into liboct-pathsearch

Oh, OK.  I'll try that since that would seem to be the logical place
for it.

BTW, the reason we still have to have our own libkpathsearch instead
of depending on some external package is that there are two
modifications necessary for running Octave with kpathsearch.  One
avoids a memory leak and the other allows us to reset the search path
at any time.  I've sent a report and patches to the tex-k mailing list
but have never received any reply.  If someone would like to pursue
this (i.e., hound them unmercifully until they agree to include the
patch) then I can send you my copy of my message with the patches.

Thanks,