8-bit char problem

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: 8-bit char problem
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:37:20 -0400

Under mingw and cygwin, toascii(setstr(200)) == 72 and
toascii(setstr(-100)) == 28.  It seems we only have 7-bit
characters to work with.

I'm recompiling with -funsigned-char to see if I can get
toascii(setstr(200)) == 200, but the proper solution is
to tag all chars with unsigned.  Otherwise we have to
figure out how to tell all the compilers that can compile
octave how to force unsigned chars.  Or is there already
an autoconf test to do this?  The only one I see is
AC_C_CHAR_UNSIGNED which defines __CHAR_UNSIGNED__ but
doesn't modify CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS so that they are
forced to be unsigned.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden