Re: Octave 2.1.37 available for ftp

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave 2.1.37 available for ftp
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 01:23:16 -0400

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 04:46:51PM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 24-Oct-2002, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | For the cygwin build I'm getting the following:
> |
> |     octave> tic; x=rand(100); toc
> |     ans = 0.032001
> |     octave> tic; sprintf("%15g ", x); toc
> |     ans = 108.51
> |           ^^^^^^
> |
> | My slightly faster linux box gives the following:
> |
> |     octave:4> tic; x=rand(100); toc
> |     ans = 0.020411
> |     octave:5> tic; sprintf("%15g ", x); toc
> |     ans = 0.37612
> |
> | I can avoid using sprintf for now, but when I get to
> | it, do you think the problem is more likely in cygwin
> | itself, or somewhere in the octave layer above cygwin.
>
> I think the problem is partially with stringstreams and gcc-2.95.x.
> The good news is that it appears to be fixed with g++ 3.2.  But to
> make things better for Octave with 2.95.x, I think the following patch
> will help.
>
> If you want details, ask.  For now, I'm too tired of looking at this
> problem to write up the details.

FYI, without the patch, performance under cygwin using gcc 3.2 is much
more reasonable.  It's down to 0.8s for sprintf("%g ", rand(100)).  Even
though this machine is faster it is not 100x faster.

One more error appears when compiling under Cygwin for gcc 3.2.  This is
the munge-texi problem I mentioned earlier.  Again, #include "Map-s.cc"
plus some diddling in munge-texi.cc hides the problem.

A problem in doc/interpreter/Makefile, cygwin's version of texi2html wants

        texi2html -expandinfo -split_chapter -I ./.. octave.texi

instead of

        texi2html -expand info -split chapter -I ./.. octave.texi

- Paul