Re: RFC: Using Standard C++ library components in Octave

From: JD Cole
Subject: Re: RFC: Using Standard C++ library components in Octave
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 20:35:24 -0800

Paul Kienzle wrote:

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:02:13AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
There has been talk of integrating guile in the past, and using glib
points out the possibility of using the
guile/guile-gobject/ORBit/bonobo nexus.  It would be cool to have
octave available via CORBA as a Gnome desktop component and therefore
usable as a plugin for other programs.  Making octave a gnome desktop
component would require linking with glib (and many other things), but
wouldn't require that internal data structures be in any particular
format, so these issues are not really coupled.  That said, using glib
would be a slight cultural shift in the gnome-hat direction.

I'm interested in making an "embeddable" octave which is basically a
headless compute engine so that it can run without the console on Windows.
The same operations would perhaps be useful for writing an octave server
or ORB wrapper.  Would you care to spec out what you would need for a
Gnome corba wrapper?

For what I'm doing with the Tk link, there are a number of things I
need.

* the initialization code must be separated out

* the read-eval-print loop must be turned into a eval string statement

* for me it would be convenient to have separate toplevel namespaces
 which can share global variables --- presumably the namespace would
 be the handle passed to eval

* octave signal handling should not interfere with the application
 signal handling

* octave should be callable from C code, so publish the interface in
 an extern "C" block

* need to do something about input/debug since octave is running
 without stdio

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden

I'm also interested in developing an "embeddable" version of octave, however, I would like to use it for a multiprocessor/multicomputer version. I would like to configure octave with a minimum of display requirements, perhaps just stream i/o, no termcap or readline libraries. Another point which JWE and PK have been discussing is the determining the excution time of code to determine when to interupt. (I have taken a look at Andy Jocabson's octave-mpi modification (thanks JWE)...but would like to take it a step further.) Any suggestions as to a starting point?

Best,
-JD