Shared libs on OSX

From: Per Persson
Subject: Shared libs on OSX
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:50:04 +0100

Hi,
I've been looking into the issue of building shared libs for OS X and have made some progress. Some of the problems with dynamic linking (as reported before) persist, but I've been able to run a version octave built with shared libs. This was accomplished using a yet-to-be-released version of Apples gcc (v3.3 build 1301).

One thing that will need to be changed in the Makefiles is with repect to the SH_LD and SH_LDFLAGS.

In Mach-O objects there is a difference between a shared library (dylib) and a loadable module (.oct in this case). A dylib is used for linking either statically or shared from, but _not_ dynamically as opposed to ELF where I it is my understanding that a shared lib (.so) can be used for both shared and dynamic loading(?).

Hence, I'd like to split SH_LD and SH_LDFLAGS into SH_LD, SH_LDFLAGS, DL_LD and DL_LDFLAGS where the default is DL_LD=SH_LD and DL_LDFLAGS=SH_LDFLAGS for systems other than OS X.

I've attached a patch with the changes so you can comment on the suggestion.

/Per