Re: return, continue, break -> ans = 1

From: Pascal A. Dupuis
Subject: Re: return, continue, break -> ans = 1
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:17:30 -0600

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, John W. Eaton wrote:

> My changes were simple.  They just made break, continue, and return do
> what did before, but also behave as functions that returned 1 so they
> would be valid in logical contexts.  But a simple change is not good
> enough, and I don't see a way to allow the Perl-like behavior and also
> be backward compatible without making some major changes to the way
> Octave's parser and interpreter work.  I don't think it is worth the
> effort and I've undone the changes I made earlier.  The CVS archive
> should be updated within a few minutes.

Hello John,

In fact, the || and && construct with a second member of return, break, or
continue is a sh mechanism (roughly speaking, Perl is a glue logic system
which supersedes sh). It is available in bash. May I suggest to ask to the
peoples maintaining bash how this is accomplished there, and eventually
transpose it to octave ?  Just a 2 eurocent suggestion...

Regards

Pascal Dupuis

--
Dr. ir. Pascal Dupuis