Re: user type segfault

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: user type segfault
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 02:48:21 -0600

According to Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> (on 02/11/03):
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 03:34:02PM -0500, Andy Adler wrote:
> > > I've defined lock_function(string) in variables.cc
> > > which does this.  Call lock_function("myconstructor")
> > > when you call mytype::register_type().
>
> This will change to mlock shortly.
>
> > Won't this prevent unloading of functions for those
> > who are doing the compile-run-debug cycle of code
> > development?
>
> I don't think it will.  Should it?
>
> Having live variables of a type kicking around, and
> changing the definition of the type out from underneath
> is bound to cause some problems.  I prefer developer-beware
> in this case.
>

> > Is there any way then to force the unloading of
> > the oct file?
>
> I am also defining mislocked and munlock.
>
> It is mostly working now, but I'm going to do some
> more tests before resubmitting.
>
> - Paul

Just one wish, is it possible to fool the register_type() call into
doing the locking? If it is then no other changes are needed in other
source files to fix this for all existing loadable types. Other each
loadable type with need to be modified to perform the locking.

Regards
David

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 25 00 (Ph)
Espace Technologique, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 25 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary