Re: Failure building CVS on IRIX 6.5 with GCC

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Failure building CVS on IRIX 6.5 with GCC
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:01:11 -0600

On 20-Feb-2003, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| FWIW, building octave 2.1.45 with Mips PRO C++ 7.30
| gives the following result:
|
| octave:1> sprintf("%d is %d ", 1, 2)
| error: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt
|
| I think I would have noticed this in January when I was
| playing with 2.1.40.  Anything changed since then which
| might affect sprintf?

The place to look is the octave_vsprintf stuff in src/utils.cc.  It's
kind of ugly.  There are several different ways the nonstandard
vsnprintf functions behave and I haven't tried to account for all of
them.  The last time I tried to clean this up, my head started
spinning and I had to stop and do something else for a while (it's now
been a long while, and I still don't want to look at it).