Re: Problem with load

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: Problem with load
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:41:49 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, John W. Eaton wrote:
> It seems to me that if you want to load a file, you
> should probably be asking for exactly the file you want.  But maybe
> other people feel differently?  If so, what are the reasons (other
> than compatibility) that this feature is a good idea?

Here is my reason:

if exist('processed_data.mat')
   load processed_data.mat
else
   processed_data = recalculate_from_raw_data();
end

Right now exist() doesn't tell me where it is, so
there is no way I can issue the load command.

The fixes are: 1) have a way to know where it is, or
2) have load pick it up automatically.
Matlab compatibility pushes for #1.

On the other hand, this could be a switch to load.

Andy