Re: Octave 3.0

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: Octave 3.0
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:43:02 +0100

On Saturday, February 22, 2003, at 02:47 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

I'd like to try to come up with a list of must-have items for the next
major release of Octave, then we can start making sure that all those
items are done (not necessarily complete, but at least implemented
well enough to be usable).

[snip]

Yes, this is a relatively large list, but I think it is possible to do
most of these things in the next six months or so.

I'm a bit reluctant to speak up on this since what I am about to say is i) not strictly a must-have ii) probably not doable in the above timeframe iii) I'm completely tied down for the next 5-6 months so I can't participate, but here goes:

I'd really like to see some kind of plotting API/abstract class/interface whatever that sits between octave and any present and/or future plotting solution. I know this has been dicussed before, but mostly in the context of GUIs and stuff. Certainly, it would be nice to have a similar solution for all kinds of fancy widgets but the plotting part could probably be done separately from buttons and sliders etc.

Just my 0.02 euro

/Per