Re: Re: Octave 3.0 plotting API/interface

From: N Smethurst
Subject: Re: Re: Octave 3.0 plotting API/interface
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 08:46:47 -0600

Le Vendredi 28 Février 2003 21:01, Herman Bruyninckx a écrit :
> My personal opinion: if you really want to make a generic plotting
> interface, look at how to specify a CORBA plotting component.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of defining a protocol independant
interface in Octave, with something like a plugin system for specific types
of communication. That way, if someone specifically wants to use Octave with
CORBA or DCOP or whatever, it would just be a matter of writing the plugin
and setting the relevant Octave environment variable in the startup. After
the basic interface is in place (along with one or two basic plugins such as
pipes and sockets), the burden of coding up other protocols would be on those
who have a specific need for them.

With this approach, what needs to be done initially is an evaluation of the
current system and the definition of a new or evolved one at the (Octave)
user end. This would not initially involve any specific protocols.

Nick